Gold jewelry is a valuable asset. It is important to take care of your gold jewelry so that it lasts for many years. For example, 14-karat gold is made of 58% pure gold and 42% other metals, so it’s not as strong as 24-karat gold, which is 100% pure gold. Therefore, 14-karat gold jewelry will usually last longer than 24-karat gold jewelry simply because it contains a higher percentage of pure gold. However, both types of gold jewelry can last a lifetime if they’re properly cared for. Here are five tips on how to store your gold jewelry:
- Keep your gold jewelry in a cool, dry place. Gold jewelry should not be exposed to extreme heat or cold. Gold is a metal that is not very reactive. However, it can be affected by extreme temperatures. If gold jewelry is exposed to extreme heat, it can cause the metal to become brittle and break. On the other hand, if gold jewelry is exposed to extreme cold, it can become dull and lose its luster. Store your gold jewelry in a jewelry box or pouch.
- Do not expose your gold jewelry to chemicals. Chemicals can damage the finish of your gold jewelry. When cleaning your gold jewelry, use mild soap and warm water. Avoid using harsh cleaners such as bleach or ammonia. You can also wipe gold jewelry with a soft cloth after wearing it to remove any dirt or oils that may have accumulated on the surface.
- Do not wear your gold jewelry while swimming or showering. The chlorine in the pool water can damage and discolor gold jewelry. It is best to remove your gold jewelry before swimming or showering. You should also remove your gold jewelry before going to bed so that it doesn’t get tangled in your sheets or pillowcase.
- Store your gold jewelry separately. Gold jewelry should not be stored with other pieces of jewelry as it can scratch or damage other jewelry. A jewelry box or pouch is a great option. You can also store gold jewelry in a special gold jewelry storage bag. These bags are lined with a soft material to prevent scratching and come in a variety of sizes to accommodate different pieces of gold jewelry.
- Inspect your gold jewelry regularly. Check for loose stones, bent settings, and cracks in the metal. If you notice any of these things, it’s best to take your gold jewelry to a professional jeweler for repair or cleaning. In fact, have your gold jewelry cleaned and serviced by a professional jeweler every few years to keep it looking its best.
So there you have it – five tips to help keep your gold jewelry looking great for years to come. By following these simple guidelines, you can avoid tarnishing and scratches, and make sure your pieces always look their best. But if you ever have any questions or need advice on storing your gold jewelry, don’t hesitate to contact us today. We would be happy to help!